Workplace Learning & Leadership: A Handbook for Library and Nonprofit Trainers
By Lori Reed and Paul Signorelli
Congratulations to my good friends Lori Reed and Paul Signorelli on the publication of their new book: Workplace Learning & Leadership: A Handbook for Library and Nonprofit Trainers, published by ALA Editions.
I am honored to have been interviewed for the book, and humbled to be in the company of the other distinguished interviewees including:
- Helene Blowers, Director of Digital Strategy, Columbus Metropolitan Library
- Char Booth, Instruction Services Manager & E-Learning Librarian, Claremont Colleges Library
- Maurice Coleman, Technical Trainer, Harford County Library
- Janet Hildebrand, Library Human Resources Manager, Contra Costa County Library
- Jason Puckett, Communication Librarian at Georgia State University Library
- Sandra Smith, Learning and Development Manager at Denver Public Library
- Jay Turner, Director of Continuing Education for the Georgia Public Library Service
- Catherine Vaughn, Continuing Education Coordinator, Lee County Library System
- Pat Wagner, Pattern Research, Inc, Denver, CO
- Louise Whitaker, Coordinator Training & Staff Development, Pioneer Library System
I've read through the book twice, and I'm sure I'll be going back to it again and again. The book is a must have for anyone doing training and staff development. But at heart I think the book is a primer on leadership, which happens to overlay neatly with the skills and mindset required to be an effective teacher/facilitator. Strategic thinking, listening, big-picture thinking, partnering, engaging and empowering others-- these are the themes that emerge and re-emerge in conversations throughout the book. I highly recommend it!